TIPPECANOE CO., Ind. (WLFI) – More snow is in the forecast this week, which means there is a chance for more school delays and closings. Public school corporations around Tippecanoe County are already planning their snow day make-ups.
There are a few things school superintendents have to consider before closing or delaying a school day.
“I would say safety, safety, safety,” said West Lafayette Community School Corporation Superintendent Rocky Killion.
“We look at whether or not our buses can safely navigate the roads. We look at our building arrangements. Has the weather affected our building? Are they up to temperature,” Tippecanoe School Corporation Superintendent Scott Hanback explained.
The Lafayette School Corporation has at least one day to make-up. LSC plans to have a make-up day at the end of the school year.
“For our families, for our staff, we’ve already made the decision that any further make-up days are going to be added in May,” said LSC Superintendent Les Huddle.
Tippecanoe School Corporation also plans on making up lost days at the end of the school year. Hanback said they have two days to make up. He said TSC will still have Presidents’ Day off, even though it’s considered a built-in make-up day.
“We have a built-in snow day, which is Presidents’ Day, but that day was published as a make-up day for any day missed in the first semester,” added Hanback.
The West Lafayette Community School Corporation has canceled four days of school. Killion said they will decide their make-up schedule when they hear back from the Indiana Department of Education.
“We have two snow make-up days built into our calendar and one of those is February 17, which is Presidents’ Day. We will probably be making the decision next week on whether or not we need to use that day to make it up based on what we hear from the Indiana Department of Education,” said Killion.
The Indiana Department of Education will wave two snow make-up days for the Tippecanoe School Corporation. The Lafayette School Corporation and West Lafayette Community School Corporation also requested waivers, but both are still waiting approval from the state.
As frustrating as the make-up days may be in May, each superintendent agrees that delays and closings are necessary for the safety of students and staff.
“You have children standing at bus stops and it really doesn’t make any difference what age you are. It’s the same temperature for a kindergartener as it is for a senior in high school,” added Huddle.