Attempt to thaw frozen pipes leads to fire

Photo courtesy of: Indianapolis Fire Department
Photo courtesy of: Indianapolis Fire Department

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Fire officials said a fire that sparked on the north side of Indianapolis Wednesday afternoon was an accident.

Firefighters responded to the 2500 block of East 55th Place shortly after 10 a.m. to the report of a building fire. Investigators learned a maintenance worker was using a torch to thaw frozen pipes. He tried to fight the fire himself before calling 911.

The fire was brought under control by firefighters in 20 minutes. The cause was ruled accidental.

Damages are estimated at $50,000. IFD would like to remind the public to immediately evacuate any structure that is on fire and call 911. Do not try to extinguish the fire yourself, and do not enter the building.

No injuries were reported.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus