Attempt to thaw frozen pipes leads to fire

Photo courtesy of: Indianapolis Fire Department
Photo courtesy of: Indianapolis Fire Department

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Fire officials said a fire that sparked on the north side of Indianapolis Wednesday afternoon was an accident.

Firefighters responded to the 2500 block of East 55th Place shortly after 10 a.m. to the report of a building fire. Investigators learned a maintenance worker was using a torch to thaw frozen pipes. He tried to fight the fire himself before calling 911.

The fire was brought under control by firefighters in 20 minutes. The cause was ruled accidental.

Damages are estimated at $50,000. IFD would like to remind the public to immediately evacuate any structure that is on fire and call 911. Do not try to extinguish the fire yourself, and do not enter the building.

No injuries were reported.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s