ATTICA, Ind. (WLFI) – Residents were evacuated from their homes following a building explosion in Attica Tuesday afternoon.
The explosion happened just before 11:00 A.M. Tuesday at the Families United building on South Perry Street in Attica. Police believe natural gas is to blame.
Attica Police Chief Robert Cole said they immediately arrived on scene and found smoke billowing from the building. Upon arrival, officers smelled a strong odor of natural gas and immediately went door to door evacuating residents from their homes.
Cole said they don’t believe anybody was inside the building at the time, but they’re waiting to wrap up their investigation before they confirm.
No injuries were reported from the explosion.
Cole says the building has been vacant since June 2013.