INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Sixteen students and one alumnus escaped a fire inside Fishers Hall on Marian University’s campus Monday night.
Officials on the scene say around 7:30 p.m., a fire broke out in a classroom and a small theater. Those inside were practicing for an upcoming play, ”I love you, you’re perfect. Now change,” when a few students smelled smoke. Fourteen people left immediately while three tried to locate the source of the smell. A 26-year-old man suffered smoke inhalation. He refused medical treatment and did not go to a local hospital.
The Indianapolis Fire Department said fire started in the building’s attic space. Firefighters say they saw fire coming from the top of the building. The blaze was brought under control within 25 minutes.
“I walked into the hallway and smoke was pouring out of the downstairs area so. I immediacy called campus police and we exited the building,” said Marian Senior Kyle Downs.
As for the fire call, investigators said they initially called out a second alarm as a precaution because they wanted to make sure they had equipment just in case the fire was out of control. They also said they had no issues with the water pressure, which they say helped them out the fire quickly.
The damage is estimated at $250,000. Fire officials say the fire is under investigation.
Marian University said they will inform students who have class inside the building in an email where classes have been moved.
“There are classes schedule for tomorrow we are making arrangements currently to find another place for those classes to be held,” said Marian University Spokesman Mark Apple.