WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) – It was a milestone event for a ceremony that honors women in the community.
The 40th annual Salute to Women banquet was held at the Purdue Memorial Union Tuesday night. Eight women were honored for their achievements and contributions to the community.
YWCA Executive Director Debi DeBruyn hopes the banquet empowers women to be strong role models to others.
“Women are such great mentors for younger girls in our community, girls at the high school age, and even myself. Some of the women we are honoring tonight have really been through some tragedy and really have turned it into something so positive,” said DeBruyn.
Almost 300 women have been honored over the last 40 years.
This year, Tenecia Waddell was honored as a Woman of Innovation. The Mary Keller Ade Woman of Wisdom is Dr. Leah Jamieson. There are six women of distinction: JoAnn Brouillette, Barbara Kerkhoff, Michelle Kreinbrook, Jeanne Norberg, Pam Mow and Dana Vann.
For the last week, News 18 profiled each of this year’s honorees. You can watch each of their stories here on our website.
Salute to Women Honorees – Related Stories:
- Woman of Innovation - Tenecia Waddell
- The Mary Keller Ade Woman of Wisdom – Dr. Leah Jamieson
- Woman of Distinction – JoAnn Brouillette
- Woman of Distinction - Barbara Kerkhoff
- Woman of Distinction - Michelle Kreinbrook
- Woman of Distinction - Jeanne Norberg
- Woman of Distinction - Pam Mow
- Woman of Distinction - Dana Vann