Cause released in Frankfort fire

Crews battle a house fire in Frankfort Wednesday night. (WLFI Photo)
Crews battle a house fire in Frankfort Wednesday night. (WLFI Photo)

FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) – Investigators have released the cause of Wednesday night’s fire in Frankfort.

Frankfort firefighters said a space heater is to blame for the house fire at 1257 Milroy St., which occurred around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday. Officials report the incident left an estimated $35,000 in damage.

Frankfort Fire Chief John Kirby said no one was in the home at the time of the fire. When crews arrived, heavy smoke had already filled the neighborhood.

Investigators believe the fire started in the front bedroom. Kirby said it was caused by a space heater that had too many extension cords attached to it.

Kirby said they called in off-duty firefighters to make sure they had staff for the fire and to handle any calls with the rest of the city.

blog comments powered by Disqus