Frankfort receives $2.5M in federal road funds

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) – The city of Frankfort is getting more than $2.5 million in federal road funds to go toward the Washington Avenue reconstruction project.

The Federal Highway Administration funding can provide up to 80 percent of the project’s first phase. The city would be required to pay the remaining 20 percent, totaling more than $600,000.

The Frankfort City Council is expected to determine sources for that funding. According to City Council President Jim Moyer, long range financial planning to support this type of revitalization is a top priority for the Council.

“The reconstruction of Washington Avenue is vital to the City’s overall infrastructure improvement. As a city councilman, I believe this project is crucial to Frankfort’s long-term growth,” Moyer said.

Mayor Chris McBarnes said the project is part of revitalization and economic development efforts. He said reconstruction of Washington Avenue means a stronger corridor to the city’s industrial park.

“This project also is an important element of Frankfort’s Complete Streets policy. With new sidewalks constructed through a high residential area, our community will be made more walkable for all residents, from the young to young-at-heart,” said McBarnes.

Phase one of the reconstruction project includes Washington Avenue from Washington Street to Hoke Avenue. Construction is set to begin in 2017.

In addition, Frankfort’s next piece of its Complete Streets program is the reconstruction of South Maish Road. That project will begin in 2016. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s