2 escape exploding propane tanks in Columbus fire

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

COLUMBUS, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say two residents of a south central Indiana home escaped unharmed after a propane heater being used in a living room burst into flames and caused propane tanks to explode on the porch.

Columbus Fire Department inspector Matt Noblitt says occupant Lori Hawk unsuccessfully tried to extinguish the fire Saturday night by placing blankets over the heater, but flames spread to a couch and table.

The Republic reports Hawk helped another occupant, Adam Kamman, escape to the front of the house and police helped the two move to a safer area as propane tanks on the porch began to explode.

The fire caused $50,000 in damages.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus