2013 Red Kettle Campaign struggles raise concern about this year

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) – A Salvation Army post in northwest Indiana is cutting back its food service due to low donations during the Red Kettle Campaign.

The Lafayette Salvation Army will not be making any cutbacks, but last year’s Red Kettle fundraiser has brought up concerns.

In January, News 18 reported the Lafayette post had reached its donation goal after extending the campaign nearly four weeks.

Because of last year’s troubles, Major Jim Irvine said he will not be increasing this year’s Red Kettle goal.

“We’re still in a tough economy and want to be sensitive to that. The challenge, then, for us is to figure out how we continue to meet the needs of those who turn to us for help,” said Major Irvine.

On Sunday, the Salvation Army will help host the Homeward Bound Walk at Riehle Plaza. Donations there will help provide services for the homeless.

blog comments powered by Disqus