Pence annouces first steps in Major Moves

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) – Gov. Mike Pence directed the State Budget Agency to release funding for the Major Moves 2020 project. Pence joined House Speaker Brian Bosma to announce the first steps in the $400 million road project, which Pence said is the next generation of highway expansion.

Pence made the announcement at a ceremony Thursday afternoon in Indianapolis. Pence said roads mean jobs, and we can put Hoosiers to work now. He said total funding of the $400 million invested within one year is expected to support more than 9,800 jobs.

“Roads mean jobs, and Major Moves 2020 will improve Indiana’s transportation infrastructure to enhance our position as the Crossroads of America,” said Pence. “Major Moves 2020 will put Hoosiers to work now and reinforce Indiana’s position as a national transportation hub and a global distribution powerhouse. It is one of the reasons Indiana continues to be recognized as a great place to do business.”

Bosma agreed it was a good move transferring the money, as it will mean thousands of jobs for Hoosiers.

“Transferring up to $400 million to improve and expand major infrastructure in our state translates into thousands of jobs for Hoosiers. Approving this transfer could allow us to leverage federal funding.” said Bosma. “I am pleased we were able to deliver on our promise to improve Indiana’s transportation system this session while remaining fiscally responsible. Indiana is the Crossroads of America, and we made strides this session to maintain that prestigious reputation.”

Last week, Gov. Pence signed the bill into law, with $200 million to be used for projects immediately. This allows Indiana to expand heavily-traveled sections of four-lane interstates that are now approaching 50 years old.

 

The state will begin taking bids this year on initial design-build contracts for the following projects.

  • I-65 in Indianapolis – Between State Road 44, near Franklin and Southport Road
  • I-65 in Lafayette – From State Road 38 to State Road 26

The $200 million will be used for additional interstate expansion projects as follows.

  • I-65 in Lafayette – From State Road 26 to State Road 25
  • I-69 in Madison County – From State Road 37 (in Fishers) to State Road 13
  • I-65 in Clark County – From Sellersburg (Exit 9) to Memphis (Exit 16)

Pence also gave a ceremonial start to highway construction season by proclaiming April 7-11 as Work Zone Awareness Week in Indiana. Drivers are urged to join the Indiana Department of Transportation and its contractors in improving highway work zone safety.

blog comments powered by Disqus