LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) – Six deserving students from the area got a public pat on the back for a job well done as well as a cash prize for their hard work Tuesday night.
It was the third annual Celebrate Youth! banquet organized by Bauer Family Resources in Lafayette.
Five teens who have overcome obstacles in their lives and demonstrated a contribution to an area like sportsmanship, citizenship or commitment to learning were each awarded $1,000.
Daniela Aspiazu was named Youth of the Year and given a check for $2,000.
“These are people who may not traditionally be recognized by other means. But their stories are really, really inspirational. We need to share those and get the word out and give honor where honor is due,” said Celebrate Youth! Planning Committee member Jennifer Russell.
There was stiff competition this year with more than 50 applications submitted, more than twice as large as last year’s total.
The six youths awarded were:
- Sarah-lyn Jones: Charles Mikels’ Citizenship Through Service
- Alan Min: Commitment to Learning
- Suzette Guijosa-Chavez: Bouncing Back
- Jordan Lambert: Creative Self-Expression
- Josiah Heath: Sportsmanship
- Daniela Aspiazu: Youth of the Year