3 teachers escape carbon monoxide at Amish school

WISH File Photo
WISH File Photo

TOPEKA, Ind. (AP) — Authorities in northern Indiana say three Amish school teachers escaped a small schoolhouse that had filled with carbon monoxide gas.

Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender says the three teachers lived in the school in a rural area of LaGrange County. Bender tells The News Sun one of the teachers woke up about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday and alerted the others, one of who was initially unresponsive.

Bender says the three showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and were vomiting. One teacher was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment while medics treated the others at the scene about 40 miles northwest of Fort Wayne.

He says the carbon monoxide was traced to an exhaust leak on a well water pump and a damaged stove pipe.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s