Wood stove blamed for house fire which killed three pets

A wood stove is being blamed for a Warren County house fire.
A wood stove is being blamed for a Warren County house fire.

WARREN CO., Ind. (WLFI) – Firefighters believe a wood stove is to blame for a house fire that killed three pets Monday evening.

It all happened around 7 p.m. on the 3100 block of W. County Road 300 North in Warren County. That’s about eight miles northwest of Williamport, just west of the U.S. 41 and State Road 63 split.

Williamsport Fire Chief Kevin Strickler said when firefighters arrived, flames already engulfed the east side of the house. They had to battle a strong wind pushing the fire through the home.

“It just makes everything twice as difficult,” said Strickler. “We are just hitting some hot spots, trying to use some foam and get it knocked down. If there’s anything that’s hidden or still hot, why this wind is going to kick it back up.”

Strickler said the residents were able to make it out safely, but two dogs and a cat died in the fire. He added there’s extensive damage throughout the house and believes it to have been caused by a wood stove.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus