MONTICELLO, Ind. (WLFI) – Monticello firefighters said a 4-year-old child who was playing with a lighter started a fire which made his family homeless Tuesday afternoon.
It all happened around 12:15 p.m. on the 700 block of Railroad Street in Monticello.
Investigators said the boy was playing with a lighter downstairs and caught a blanket on fire while his teen sister was upstairs. Both were able to safely make it out themselves and call 911.
Firefighters said flame and smoke damage has displaced the eight-member household, though two other single apartments in the building were not damaged in the fire.