101-year-old hurt in fire at home near Muncie

WISH File Photo
WISH File Photo

SELMA, Ind. (AP) — A 101-year-old woman suffered burns and possible smoke inhalation when a fire broke out in her home near Muncie.

A neighbor helped Catherine Jane Leach from her burning house Thursday evening and she was sitting in a lawn chair on the neighbor’s property in the town of Selma when firefighters arrived. She was taken to a Muncie hospital for treatment of injuries to her head, hands, neck and arm.

Liberty Township Fire Department inspector Rick Compton tells The Star Press that the cause of the blaze wasn’t immediately known. The house where Leach has lived for about 30 years had a rear family room gutted by the flames.

Neighbor Jason Ingram says the rear door was melting as he helped Leach down the steps.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s