Residents still not sold on new power plant plan

LOGANSPORT, Ind. (WLFI) – Some Logansport residents hope city officials will continue to shop around when it comes to bringing a multimillion dollar power plant to the city.

Last week, Mayor Ted Franklin announced plans for a purchase power agreement between the city and the developer, Total Concept Solutions. The city will no longer be working with Pyrolyzer LLC.

Franklin said the city will not have to pay to build or run the $803 million plant, which will use natural gas to produce power. Total Concept Solutions will foot the bill and use the city’s infrastructure to deliver power. If approved, the new plant will generate a minimum of $5 million a year for the city from royalties.

But several residents at Tuesday night’s Utility Service Board meeting still weren’t sold.

“They should shop around and compare offers from different electricity generators. We’re frustrated because the mayor has taken over the utility service board’s job,” said Mercedes Brugh.

“It’s a public board, it’s a public city council and they can vote however they wish. If it’s voted in, we act on it and precede down the road. If it’s voted down, we precede down that road,” said Paul Hartman, Logansport Utilities superintendent.

The purchase plan agreement, which lays out financial details, will be open to the public on Friday. It will go before the Logansport City Council and the Utility Service Board next month. There will also be a public hearing May 15. A final decision on the project will be made by June 24.

blog comments powered by Disqus