WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) – “Safety first!” A slogan dating back to 1890, but how many actually follow it? It’s important to remember personal safety, especially at night, so you don’t end up as the next crime statistic.
Lafayette has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to communities of all sizes large and small, according data from Neighborhood Scout’s website. They said there is a one and 18 chance of becoming a victim with a crime rate of 54 per 1,000 residents. Within Indiana, more than 95 percent of the communities have a lower crime rate than Lafayette, according to statistics on Neighborhood Scout.
The crime rate in West Lafayette is considerably higher than the national average in comparison of all communities in America, according to Neighborhood Scout. They said there is one in 28 chance of becoming a victim with a crime rate of 35 per 1,000 residents. According to the site’s data, West Lafayette has a crime rate that is higher than 84% of Indiana’s cities and towns.
According to West Lafayette Police Department, in the month of May they have received reports of two robberies. Both incidents occurred in the early morning hours, said WLPD.
To help keep citizens safe, WLPD has provided some helpful tips to prevent becoming a crime victim.
- Avoid being out alone at night.
- Let a friend or family member know where you are going.
- Keep your cellphone battery fully charged, in case of emergency.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid using headphones or talking on phone while walking alone.
- Avoid unlit areas when walking at night.
- Walk with confidence. If confronted, make noise or yell to attract attention.
- Trust your instincts.
- Do not hesitate to call 911 for help.
NOTE: Other crime statistic sites were referenced and data on those was similar to the data used from Neighborhood Scout.