Leaders trying to spur on potential Democratic candidates

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) – Tippecanoe County Democratic chairwoman Heather Maddox’s work is getting started after last Tuesday’s primary election. The Democratic ballot had one contested race. Now, she is trying to find Democrats to run in November.

“There are people who have contacted me within the last week or so,” Maddox said. “I’ve got several meetings scheduled. I’ll sit down with people and make sure their heart is in it, make sure they know what their expectations are.”

Maddox is expecting to get some Democrats to run for various township and county council races. The full-time positions, like sheriff, may be tougher.

“When it comes to the full-time jobs, it’s a little harder to get people because people may be in lucrative careers, and you’re asking them to kind of give that up,” Maddox said.

Kent Moore has been the Tippecanoe County Election Board Democratic representative for more than two decades. He said during a county election, it’s typical to see 40 percent of a ballot be Democratic and the other 60 percent Republican.

But through the years, he has watched Democratic participation dwindle.

“I can remember a lot of times when [Democrats] have had sheriff candidates,” Moore said. “But to be frank, at the moment, I can’t recall the last sheriff candidate we’ve had.”

Moore is positive about the future of the county’s Democrats. He said Purdue University has brought more diversity which could help the party.

“With Tippecanoe County and Purdue as its economic engine, we’re getting more and more people who have not lived here all their lives, the white-bread Hoosiers, so I can see an evolution,” Moore said.

The deadline to file for the November election is June 30. For more information you can email Heather Maddox at hkm9@yahoo.com.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s