INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) — Nine additional counties will receive federal grants for the severe winter storm that severely affected much of the state January 5-9.
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence made the announcement Tuesday saying it’s “good news” for the additional counties granted public assistance by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which include Blackford, Clinton, Fulton, Hamilton, Johnson, LaGrange, Marion, Montgomery and Vanderburgh.
“This continues to be good financial news for cities and towns in these counties,” Pence told News 18 in a release. “Federal grants mean millions of dollars replenishing local budgets.”
These newly added counties, except Vanderburgh, will receive 48 hours of snow assistance.
The total number of counties receiving assistance for the January snowstorm is up to 28, though Pence said additional counties may be requested.
FEMA had previously granted assistance to the following counties: Boone, Clay, Hendricks, Huntington, Jasper, Kosciusko, Madison, Morgan, Newton, Noble, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Tipton, Vigo, Wabash, White and Whitley.
Noble and Whitley counties are being provided with 72 hours of snow assistance, and all other counties, except Owen, are receiving 48 hours of snow assistance.
Pence said FEMA’s grants will pay 75 percent of eligible expenses for damage to roads, bridges, utilities, debris removal, buildings’ contents and equipment, water control facilities, parks and recreational facilities, and others, as well as emergency protective measures like traffic control and rescue operations.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security will work with FEMA and local agencies to document allowable expenses.