LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The woman police say was part of the husband-and-wife team who killed two Las Vegas police officers and another person on Sunday before taking their own lives was a Lafayette native and graduate of Jefferson High School. Las Vegas police identified Jerad and Amanda Miller as the suspects in the killings.
They obtained a marriage license in Tippecanoe County in August 2012 and were married the following month. Las Vegas police said they believe the couple had been in Las Vegas since January of 2014.
Neighbors of the Millers on Weaver Street in Lafayette described Jerad, 31, as being “paranoid of the government,” and said Amanda, 22, was “submissive.” Neighbors said the Millers expressed interest in going to Nevada to “get away from the government here.”
Jerad Miller has several convictions in Tippecanoe County and was once ordered to undergo outpatient psychiatric treatment.
One former neighbor said Amanda Miller said she was going to leave Jerad but never did.
Lafayette Police Chief Patrick Flannelly said “we were contacted in the early morning hours by Clark County, Nev. coroner’s office asking us to follow up with possible relatives here. We have information they were here for a time. They have ties to the area.”
Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office provided the following booking records for Miller:
I have located the following booking records for Jerad Miller in our system:
- June 16, 2007 – Criminal Recklessness, pointing a firearm, intimidation, possession marijuana, possession paraphernalia
- Oct. 10, 2007 – Bond revoked. Returned to jail
- March 15, 2009 – Felony Battery
- Nov. 26, 2010 – Deal Marijuana, Possession Marijuana, Possession Controlled Substance
- Feb. 7, 2011 – Strangulation / Battery
- March 1, 2013 – Booked and held for Wanted on Warrant – Dearborn County, Ind. Sheriff’s Office
- March 6, 2013 – Petition to revoke probation
- March 21, 2013 – House Arrest Violation
- July 22, 2013 – House Arrest Violation