INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WLFI) – There’s just a few months left before the contract ends to keep the passenger train running that goes from Indianapolis to Chicago. Meanwhile, the Indiana Department of Transportation continues to consider proposals to improve the Hoosier State Line.
INDOT is in the evaluation process right now — comparing, analyzing and trying to pick the best proposal.
As News 18 has been reporting, federal funding for the Hoosier State Line ran out last year. Several communities, including Lafayette, West Lafayette and Tippecanoe County, are helping to fund the service.
INDOT officials said proposals from Corridor Capital, Herzog Transit Services and Passenger Transportation Specialists, Iowa Pacific Holdings and Railmark Holdings are being considered. Amtrak has also submitted a proposal for next year.
“We’re working together to open this up to competition to hopefully develop a plan and seek out innovations that will allow this service to improve and be more financially self sustaining,” INDOT’s Will Wingfield said.
INDOT is expected to announce the selected proposal this summer. The original contract to keep the line running runs out on Oct. 1.
Wingfield said the plan is to have a proposal well before then. He said whichever proposal is selected will not bring any disruptions in service.