CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) – A generator used during a power outage appears to be the cause of a garage fire in Carroll County Tuesday evening.
It happened around 5:25 p.m. at a home in Rockfield. Firefighters said the power in town had been out since 1 a.m. Tuesday, so the homeowner had a generator running in a building connected to the garage.
“When he got home this afternoon and was in the house — heard a pop, crack, went out and it was on fire. He tried to put it out with an extinguisher and then went back in a called the dispatch,” said John Garrison, Rock Creek Township fire chief.
The building where the fire started and the garage have been ruled a total loss. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the house.
Nobody was injured.