INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) — The Indiana Department of Transportation has announced a road work moratorium beginning at noon Thursday, July 3 until the morning hours of Monday, July 7 to optimize safety and mobility during the heavily traveled Independence Day holiday weekend.
INDOT has directed contractors to pull back barrels and barricades to the safest extent possible.
Some closures and restrictions will remain in place on larger projects that cannot be safely opened to traffic for the weekend.
The statewide TrafficWise traveler information webpage includes updated reports for all state roads, U.S. highways and interstates across Indiana.
Motorists can learn about traffic conditions, road closures, construction information, and crashes by calling 1-800-261-ROAD.
Motorists are urged to comply with speed limits, keep a safe distance from other vehicles and avoid driving aggressively.
To help ensure motorists reach their holiday travel destinations safely, please remember these safe driving tips:
- Make sure you are well rested before traveling.
- Avoid tailgating. Remember the two-second rule.
- Obey posted speed limits, and always use turn signals when turning and making lane changes.
- Make sure everyone is properly buckled up, especially children.
- Never drink and drive. If you are going to consume alcohol, make sure you have a designated driver.