COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) — Officials in Columbus say an investigation is underway after four Cooper’s Hawks were found dead.
The hawks were found in the Forest Park subdivision in Columbus. A resident found the birds on her front lawn last week, The Republic reports.
Investigators are looking into whether the hawks could have ingested a neurotoxin commonly found in rat poison. The woman who found the birds believes the same toxin caused her dog to become ill.
While it hasn’t been confirmed that the birds were poisoned, the founder and executive director of the Indiana Raptor Center in Nashville, Ind. says things are pointing in that direction.