WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A power outage affected the Purdue campus area due to a broken transmission pole near U.S. 231 and S. River Road in West Lafayette, officials said. Fire crews also reported as sparks caused a small grass fire.
Wabash Township Fire Deputy Chief Jim Lewis said one of the arms on a utility pole broke causing wires to cross, which then caused sparks. Those sparks fell into a heavy wooded and grassy area, which caused a small grass fire.
Lewis said the area was unable to be reached with the trucks, so crews used a grass truck to put out the fire. The fire was small and put out quickly, according to Lewis.
In addition, Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office said several residents and businesses in West Lafayette including Purdue’s campus were without power. Deputies said many traffic lights were also down.
Duke Energy officials said the outages were widespread and intermittent. Power was rerouted around the broken pole.
Officials said power was restored about 30 minutes after the outage.