Plea talks ongoing for Colts’ owner Irsay

Photo shows Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay as he leaves the Hamilton County jail on bond after his arrest. (WISH Photo/Jay Hermacinski)
Photo shows Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay as he leaves the Hamilton County jail on bond after his arrest. (WISH Photo/Jay Hermacinski)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Plea negotiations are ongoing in the case against Indianapolis Colts’ owner Jim Irsay, exactly one month before his bench trial is set to begin on charges of operating while under the influence and possession of a controlled substance, the Hamilton County prosecutor’s office confirmed Monday.

The details of those talks are not clear, but the office confirmed to 24 Hour News 8 that prosecutors and Irsay’s attorney discussed plea negotiations and evidence last week during an informal pre-trial conference. Irsay’s attorney, James Voyles, declined to comment on the meeting or what may have been discussed.

The Indianapolis Colts’ owner was arrested in March on charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance. Irsay and his attorney waived his initial court appearance in June, acknowledging in court records that Irsay understood his rights, would not break any laws and would not leave the state without the court’s permission.

The Colts’ owners had his license suspended and entered a treatment facility days after his March arrest in which officers reported finding pills and more than $29,000 in cash in Irsay’s car.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Carmel Police pulled Irsay over on March 16 near 131st and Horseferry Road after he came to a complete stop on 131st Street for no apparent reason. According to the court record, Irsay told officers he was having trouble finding his way home. Police reported finding multiple prescription drugs in pill bottles. Irsay failed sobriety tests and refused a blood test. After a court order was obtained, the blood test showed Irsay had hyrdrocodone and/or oxycodone in his system, the affidavit states.

Irsay has addressed the incident only a few times, taking to Twitter shortly after his arrest to thank fans for their support, writing: “Deepest thx to family, friends, fans, colleagues for the messages of support, thoughts and prayers. Impossible to tell u how much this means.”

Over the weekend, images of Irsay passing out $100 bills to fans at the Colts’ training camp appeared on social media.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has not yet announced his punishment for Irsay, who could face discipline as a result of the arrest. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, off topic, or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus