US official: Americans killed in Afghan attack

An Afghan police officer stands guard during a campaign rally in the Paghman district of Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, June 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)
An Afghan police officer stands guard during a campaign rally in the Paghman district of Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, June 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. official says “about a dozen” of the victims of an Afghan insider attack on Tuesday were Americans, and at least one American was killed.

The official says many details of the attack early Tuesday were still unclear and the numbers could change. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss details of the attack by name on the record.

A man dressed in an Afghan army uniform opened fire on foreign troops at Camp Qargha, a base west of the capital, Kabul. Among the wounded was a German brigadier general.

Gen. Mohammmad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry, said a “terrorist in an army uniform” opened fire on both local and international troops. Azimi said the shooter had been killed.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus