Parents charged after son’s carbon monoxide death

Darrick W. Spore (left) and Candy S. Chamness (right) (Provided Photos/Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department)
Darrick W. Spore (left) and Candy S. Chamness (right) (Provided Photos/Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department)

SYRACUSE, Ind. (WANE) — The parents of a 12 year old who was found dead hours after he died of carbon monoxide poisoning has been charged in Kosciusko County.

Darrick W. Spore, 34, and Candy S. Chamness, 34, both of Syracuse, were charged with neglect of a dependent and reckless homicide, according to the affidavit for probable cause.

On June 28, police were called to the 200 block of West Washington Street in Syracuse on a subject not breathing. Court documents said while police were responding, dispatch received a call that people inside the house were manufacturing methamphetamine and had two generators running.

Police arrived and found Skyler Spore in an upstairs bedroom dead. Police said both Spore and Chamness, the parents of the child, tested positive for methamphetamine in their system when their son died.

According to court documents, electricity had been disconnected and the parents placed generators in the basement and inside the porch area.

WLFI.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus