Senior center evacuated after fire caused by discarded cigarette

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities say an Indianapolis senior citizen apartment complex was evacuated following an early morning fire caused by a discarded cigarette.

The Wayne Township fire department says crews responded about 2:15 a.m. Monday to the Crestwood Village complex on the west side of Indianapolis. The fire was on the second floor and an 86-year-old woman was rescued from her balcony.

Nineteen people were taken from their homes.

Three people were evaluated by medics at the scene and one was taken to a hospital with what was described as a minor medical issue.

Crews got the fire under control in about 20 minutes. The fire department says one unit was destroyed and eight units were damaged. Nine people couldn’t return home and they are getting assistance from the township and the American Red Cross.