INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Firefighters say two buildings were safely evacuated after a fire began beneath a downtown Indianapolis bar.
They say police officers patrolling the area spotted the fire coming from underneath a sidewalk grate outside the Harness Factory Lofts Pub & Eatery about 1 a.m. Friday and ran inside to tell more than 100 people there to get out. Nearby apartments were evacuated also. About 100 people were inside the apartments.
Battalion Chief Rita Reith says flames reached as high as 20 feet before firefighters arrived on the scene.
Investigators believe the fire may have been started from a dropped cigarette igniting debris that had been settled in a void space near the kitchen.
No injuries were reported.