LFD: Dehumidifier to blame for Lafayette house fire

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Investigators said an electric dehumidifier is to blame for a house fire in Lafayette.

Crews were called to the fire in the 800 block of Oaklawn around 7:45 a.m. Sunday morning.

Investigators said an electric dehumidifier malfunctioned, causing it to overheat and sparking the fire in the basement.

The Lafayette Fire Department tells News 18 there was a recall on dehumidifiers in 2013 and asks homeowners to check to see if their device is on a recall list.

To check the recall list, click here.