GOODLAND, Ind. (WLFI) — One person was airlifted after an apartment fire in Newton County.
Around 9:30 a.m. CST, emergency crews were called to a report of a fire at Ashland Place Senior Homes, located on the 100 block of North Iroquois Street in Goodland, Indiana.
Goodland Fire Chief Jeff Miiller said the man who lived in the apartment had been shopping with a neighbor when he came home and found his apartment on fire. He said the man tried to put the fire out himself and was badly injured.
The victim was taken a local airport and airlifted to an unknown hospital for treatment. There’s no word on his condition at this time.
Crews have since extinguished the fire and authorities say they were able to stop the fire from spreading beyond the living room of that one apartment.
Miiller said this is a reminder of why it’s important to let the professionals handle fires.
“Get out of the building, make sure nobody goes in and call 911,” he said. “The fire department has SCBA’s [self-contained breathing apparatus]. They can get in there and not be overcome by smoke. They have the gear to not get burnt.”
Officials said the fire started in a recliner inside the home, but there’s no word yet on the cause. It remains under investigation at this time.
We will continue to follow this story and have the latest information online at WLFI.com.