4 Purdue football players accused of sexual assault; law firm requests expulsion

WLFI File Photo
WLFI File Photo

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Two female Purdue students claim four Purdue football players sexually assaulted them. Now, a law firm has stepped in and requested the players be expelled from the university.

The law firm of Massillamany & Jeter LLP says two Purdue women claim they were sexually assaulted by four Purdue football players on Oct. 13 at an off-campus house where the players lived. The victims said they immediately reported the incident to school authorities and to the West Lafayette Police Department. The players have also been accused of contributing alcohol to minors and maintaining a common nuisance.

The law firm says at least one other student has come forward, claiming to have been a victim of similar actions by Purdue football players in the past. Firm Partner Mario Massillamany encourages other victims to come forward.

“If there are others out there who have been victimized in this manner, we encourage them to contact us to get the justice they deserve,” he said.

Massillamany is asking university administrators to expedite expulsion proceedings against those involved.

“School officials must move quickly to hold these players accountable for their actions and show these victims that their voices are being heard,” Massillamany stated in a release. “Purdue and other schools have an obligation to send a message that this type of activity will not be tolerated.”

According to Massillamany & Jeter LLP, some of the accused players have criminal records. One has been charged with battery resulting in serious bodily injury. A second player was previously charged with theft, and a third with possession of marijuana; both had their charges dismissed as part of a pre-trial diversion program.

Purdue has suspended the players from the football team as they await a formal hearing, states the law firm. The players have still been allowed on campus to attend classes.

The university is expected to release a statement sometime Wednesday.

News 18 is continuing to work on this breaking story and we will have more information as it becomes available.